Monday, February 25, 2008

Writing Poetry on a Dreary Winter Day

Today I planned to meet a friend for lunch at one of my favorite restaurants, the Signature Room at the top of the John Hancock Center. Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate; commuting from the suburbs just for lunch when sleet and snow are forecast didn't seem wise to my friend. I understand. This is a good day to stay indoors.

As I've said before, writing is a great way to brighten dreary days, so I wrote another Rictameter (see my December 17, 2007 post for other examples). I am not a "real" poet, but I like the mental challenge of this restricted form. Why not try writing a poem? Any form, including free verse, will do. Let's keep our brains active


Think and Dream


Think. Dream.
Write your story.
Do it in poems, in verse.
Try rictameters or sonnets,
Quatrains, tercets, octaves, sestets, shaped poems,
Free verse, rhymed or unrhymed, good, bad.
Stretch your brain; flex you mind.
Express yourself.
Think. Dream.


Copyright 2008 by Marlys Marshall Styne

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice poem on expressing yourself and dreaming big. You should post some of your poetry on my website! Peace

seniorwriter said...

Jon: How interesting to receive a comment from an eighteen-year-old! Good luck on your website. I've always said that people of all ages should try writing poetry. For us elders, it's great therapy, but I guess it can be beneficial for younger people too.

By the way, your site doesn't make the posting process clear yet, but I assume you're still working on it.