Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A New Computer: Another Challenge

My new computer, a Hewlett Packard Pavillion Elite, was installed on Sunday. It has more features than I'm likely to need, but learning to use it is time-consuming fun. I wasn't eager to buy a new computer in these uncertain times, with knee surgery and a move coming up, but when my old computer died a rather timely death (it was old), I decided that I couldn't live without one. Yes, I have a laptop, but it's not very easy to use. I've owned various desktop computers since the 1980's, and they have been important parts of my life.


Unfortunately, many of my treasured programs are gone. I'll be busy trying to acquire and install some of them. Unfortunately, I've lost the serial numbers of some programs, and some simply won't work with the Vista operating system. My data files are safe on an external backup drive, aned I've finally managed to restore them, but they are still so disorganized that finding anything is a real challenge.

Fortunately, my brother is coming from Utah during my operation time, so I'm depending on him to straighten things out. He's good at such things.

A shiny new computer is always a joy (the common color is now black; my old computer was silver). However, this experience makes me even more aware of how important computers are to me. A computer is my main connection to the outside world, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments: