Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Fan Letter!

Today, I received a fan letter (via email). It's not necessarily my first, but it's the first so labeled. Here is a quote from it (the author is someone I do not know and have never heard from before):

"I'm 68 and thinking that creative writing is probably an important part of what I'm supposed to do with the rest of my life. I enjoy your friendly and unpretentious example and encouragement, and your interest in fostering a community of senior writers. "

Take the time to express your appreciation for bloggers and writers. Best-selling authors probably don't need it, but the rest of us need occasional encouragement. And thanks to my new fan!

2 comments:

Barb Davis said...

You are right about letters and emails. Even though I'm not a published writer, "comments" from readers make my day. Feedback helps me refine my writing skill and provides me with the encouragement I need to keep going forward.
The blogging world calls readers who don't leave comments, "lurkers"... and there are many. I think they must not realize how important their thoughts are to the blog "writer".
Blessings from another "fan" Barbara

Lydia said...

I'm a fan, too, Marlys! I gain from you as a teacher and writer, and love your encouragement for us all to write.

I have a bit of a different take on "lurkers" than Barbara. I've enjoyed articles in favorite magazines going all the way back to my teen years. Just last night I read a piece in my latest subscription of THE SUN, and was completely moved. But never have I written a letter to the author, editor, or staff of any magazine to let them know my appreciation. (shame on me) Where it's much easier for bloggers to dash off a quick comment, that they might not do so doesn't necessarily mean they don't like the writing. Still, it's wonderful when they do leave a comment and become a part of the community.....